Vulnerable Adults at Work Policy
The John O’Connor Writing School is committed to ensuring safe environments for vulnerable adults at risk and believe that it is always unacceptable for a vulnerable adult at risk to experience abuse of any kind. We recognise our responsibility to safeguard the welfare of all vulnerable adults at risk, by a commitment to recommend best practice which protects them.
This policy applies to our Committee, event contributors, volunteers, students or anyone working on behalf of the School..
This Policy is in keeping with the relevant legislative requirements in N.Ireland.
We recognise that:
- the welfare of a vulnerable adult at risk is paramount
- all vulnerable adults at risk, regardless of age, disability, gender, racial heritage, religious belief, sexual orientation or identity, have the right to equal protection from all types of harm or abuse
- working in partnership with vulnerable adults at risk, their relatives, carers and other agencies is essential in promoting their welfare
The purpose of the policy:
- to provide protection for vulnerable adults at risk who participate in our festivals,
- to provide staff and volunteers with guidance on procedures they should adopt in the event that they suspect a vulnerable adult may be experiencing, or be at risk of, harm
- to actively promote the empowerment and well-being of vulnerable adults who participate in our events.
We will seek to safeguard vulnerable adults at risk by:
- valuing them, listening to and respecting them
- adopting safe working practices for all those working on behalf of the School, including volunteers
- recruiting any staff and volunteers safely, ensuring all necessary checks are made
- sharing information appropriately about adults who are at risk, with their consent
- if consent is refused and there are considered to be serious concerns of abuse for the individual concerned or others, then consent may be over ridden in line with guidance, and only shared appropriately with those who need to know
- providing effective management for the organising committee members and volunteers through appropriate supervision, support and training.
The John O’Connor Writing school will review this policy each year in January or sooner in light of any changes in legislation or guidance. All changes will be communicated to our members and contributors.